International

Parents let 2-month-old girl die from heroin and cocaine overdose

35Views

Eugene Chandler, Shaleigh Brumfield, Danville, Virginia

Eugene Chandler, 27, and Shaleigh Brumfield, 26, are charged with the overdose death of their two-month-old child (Picture: Danville Police Department)

A two-month-old girl died of overdose after her parents gave her cocaine and heroin, police say.

Eugene Chandler, 27, and Shaleigh Brumfield, 26, were arrested on Tuesday nearly seven months after the overdose death of their infant daughter, Marleigh Chandler.

Police responded to the familys home in Danville, Virginia on November 24, 2018 and found Chandler holding Marleighs lifeless, unresponsive body, WSET reported.

After officers tried CPR, the infant was rushed to the SOVAH Health emergency room, where she was pronounced dead.

Authorities said the infant showed no signs of physical abuse as they began their investigation into her death.

Eugene Chandler, Shaleigh Brumfield, Danville, Virginia

Chandler and Brumfield were indicted by a grand jury Monday in Danville, Virginia on homicide and neglect charges (Picture: Google Maps)

An autopsy revealed that the baby girls died by Acute heroin and cocaine intoxication in a setting of co-sleeping.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Co-sleeping is when children sleep in contact with one or both of their parents.

Danville Police Lieutenant Richard Chivvis said: The child had enough cocaine and heroin metabolites in her system to kill her.

METRO

[contfnewc] [contfnewc]