A sign hangs outside of a Dick's Sporting Goods store on February 28, 2018 in Chicago, Illinois. Citing the recent shooting at Stoneman Douglas School in Parkland, Florida, the sporting goods retailer announced today that it would no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age, no longer sell high capacity magazines, and would no longer sell assault-style rifles at any company owned stored. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
1:54 PM 04/16/2018
Dicks Sporting Goods no longer sells AR-15-style rifles at any of its stores, and soon its unsold inventory of the much-vilified firearms wont be available anywhere else.
Instead of returning them to their manufacturers, Dicks will destroy its entire stock of unsold AR-15s, the company said Monday.
“We are in the process of destroying all firearms and accessories that are no longer for sale as a result of our February 28th policy change,” a Dicks spokeswoman told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We are destroying the firearms in accordance with federal guidelines and regulations.”
Pennsylvania-based Dicks, the worlds largest sporting goods retailer, stopped selling AR-15-style rifles in February in response to the Parkland, Fla., school shooting. The company had previously removed the rifles from the shelves of its Dicks-branded stores but continued to offer them at its 35 Field & Stream retail locations.
Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz had purchased a gun from a Dicks store, though not the AR-15-style rifle he used in the massacre. Still, CEO Edward Stack worried that “it could have been” the case.
Following the decision to pull modern sporting rifles from Field & Stream stores, it was unclear what Dicks would do with the weapons it held in inventory. Typically, a retailer like Dicks can return unsold merchandise to the manufacturer for a refund or a credit.
Instead, Dicks has decided to destroy the rifles at the companys distribution centers and send the parts to a salvage company to be recycled, reports the Post-Gazette. The company did not say how many rifles would be destroyed.
In addition to its policy on AR-15 sales, Dicks said in February it would stop selling high-capacity magazines or sell firearms to anyone under 21 years old. The company is facing two lawsuits over the additional age restriction.
ALSO WATCH: Liberals bash Sinclair with biased take on fake news
Send tips to [email protected].
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected].