Tech

Google loses right to be forgotten case

63Views

A businessman who wanted information about a crime he had committed to be removed from Google won a court case against the tech giant Friday.

The ruling was handed down by the High Court in London. The judge rejected a similar claim brought by another man who was jailed for a more serious offense, the BBC reported.

The businessman who won his case was convicted a decade ago of conspiring to intercept communications. He spent six months in jail. The man who lost his case was convicted more than 10 years ago of conspiring to account falsely. He spent four years in jail. Neither was named.

In a statement, Google said it would “respect the judgment made in the case.”

“We work hard to comply with the right to be forgotten, but we take great care not to remove search results that are in the public interest,” it added.

The “right to be forgotten” is a legal precedent set by the European Court of Justice in 2014, following a case brought by Spaniard Mario Costeja Gonzalez who asked Google to remove information about his financial history.

Since then, Google says it has honored about 800,000 “right to be forgotten” requests.

Original Article

Leave a Reply